05 December 2006

fresh font friday: verdana

While I still had some time today I figured I would deliver another font-ographical thought and post a second Fresh Font Friday. On this special edition I will gloat about our good friend Verdana.



Verdana is the typographical epitome of the easy life. So simple, so clear, so easy on the eyes, this font is a must have in everyone's collection. Granted, the font comes standard with MS Office; but the collection I am talking about is the one I call "Fonts I Use." This sans font is a very safe selection for any on screen use. It can be a great selection for some print projects, if (like every other project) used wisely. The stems are straight, not needing to throw any fancy twists into the look (compare to Gill Sans MT in a previous post). Little characteristics like that make the text very easy to read, regardless of the size.

I have read of web designers who swear by this font. Understandable; maybe going a bit far, but understandable. Defaulting to Verdana (as is something I do in Flash) will not be a waste of time. You will not have to worry about whether or not the audience will be able to see the letters clearly enough. You may look around for other fonts, but in the meantime Verdana is a great alternative. Again, very safe and very simple. I like the circular O in Gill Sans MT, as opposed to the subtly squeezed sample in Verdana. Nonetheless, this font is quite appealing and not going to strain they eyes. Truly the easy life.

To go one step beyond, the Greek text within the font is very clean and clear as well. It may not be as fancy as other Greek fonts (e.g. GraecaII, SGreek) but it is still effective due to it's readable nature. And that is the key to Greek: it has to be readable before it is usable.


Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: