05 December 2006

the blasted church

You know something? I have never had a drop of alcohol. In all my years, the closest I have ever come to consuming alcohol or liquor is in three ways: a rum dressing for a pound cake, where the rum is so diluted and the alcohol so cooked out you would be dreaming if you thought about getting a buzz from that desert; a pink champagne cake, but again, as with the rum, by the time the cake reaches my mouth there is no alcohol to speak of; and a fish taco with beer battered whatever that fish was; but alas, no alcohol to the tongue again.

Have I been missing out? I don't think so. I have never cared to try a beer or champagne, a wine or even a wine cooler. I am just not interested. The only affinity I have to alcohol right now is my seeming adoration for wine labels. Not in the sense of collecting wine labels, but I love seeing the creativity, elegance, brashness and cleverness that many label designers are able to produce.



I enjoy the labels, even the name, of this Canadian wine: Blasted Church. The story behind the name is wonderful. From their website,



On a cool spring morning in 1929, a small crew from Okanagan Falls set off to a deserted mining camp some 16 miles away from home. Their mission: to dismantle an old wooden church and bring it back to Okanagan Falls.


The plan called for a controlled blast of four dynamite sticks inside the church in order to "loosen the nails". Odd as it may seem, the explosion spared the wood from damage during dismantling.

Save for losing the steeple, the plan succeeded. Now, the 108 year old wooden church stands proudly in its second home of Okanagan Falls.

In naming our VQA wines "Blasted Church", we celebrate the ingenuity of this initiative, and honour these pioneers for their vision, steadfastness and craftsmanship.




Their labels have so much character. Each of the wines listed on their website has a different look. Individualized. Nowhere near the style of a high-end wine (for instance, have a peek at this one; ooh la la), but just as appealing if not more attractive. To be fair, though, like I know what a high-end wine is. The wine could taste like skunk and I wouldn't know. I just like the labels.


Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: