05 December 2006

fresh font friday: gill sans mt


I would like to tout about one of my favorite fonts: Gill Sans MT. Originally designed in the 1920's by one Eric Gill, this font is very simple, clean, and easy to read. This is a great font to use on screen, mostly for websites with a lot of text. As seen on the t-shirt, though, it has other uses. Maybe not for a t-shirt, but images with text will not look worse if you need a clean sans font.

The letters are not trying to be bold, just effective for their use. Notice the O's. They are circles that rival that of Futura. Most fonts have skinny O's, more like ovals. You see a similar form to the G and some other letters. A top quality font.

There are some free packages of this font available, but for the most part the Gill Sans family is downloadable after purchase. However, I believe Microsoft Office includes a few of the fonts in the program.

"Fresh Font Friday" will be a regular edition of this blog. Each Friday I plan on talking a bit about a different font. Some that I like, and some that I don't. If you have any fonts that you like or are interested in, let me know in the comments section.


Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: